- For the Nutroll:
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 egg yolks (beaten)
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- For the Filling:
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups finely ground walnuts
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup honey
- 3 egg whites
- 3/4 cup sugar
- Dissolve yeast in warm water and set aside. Heat butter, 1/2 cup milk, 2 tablespoons sugar and salt until lukewarm and butter has melted.
- In large bowl, combine yeast mixture, butter mixture and beaten egg yolks.
- Add flour gradually, beating well.
- Divide into 2 equal portions, wrap and refrigerate overnight. Next day, make the filling.
- To make the filling: Combine walnuts, 1/4 cup sugar, cinnamon, 1/4 cup milk and honey in a saucepan. Place over low heat, stirring constantly until hot. Remove from heat and cool.
- Beat egg whites until frothy. Gradually add 3/4 cup sugar, beating until stiff. Mix together with cooled walnut mixture. Set aside.
- On floured surface, roll 1 portion of dough into a 24-inch square. Spread with 1/2 the filling and roll as for a jellyroll. Coil in a well-greased, 10-inch tube pan.
- Repeat process with remaining dough and place second roll on top of first. With sharp knife, cut to bottom of pan in several places. Let rise, covered, until doubled, about 1 hour, or follow this Quick Tip to cut the rise time.
- The dough can also be rolled to a 1/8-inch thickness, spread with filling, rolled as for a jellyroll and baked as a log.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Bake 1 hour or until nicely browned. Cool in pan 20 minutes and invert onto a wire rack.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||20 g|
|Saturated Fat||9 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||5 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|