|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 4g||5%|
|Saturated Fat 2g||10%|
|Total Carbohydrate 32g||12%|
|Dietary Fiber 1g||2%|
|Total Sugars 20g|
|Vitamin C 1mg||4%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
These muffins are full of flavor and can take on many variations. Ready in less than an hour, they're simple muffins to which you can add the toppings, fillings, and icings of your choice.
Bake and freeze to have at hand when you're short on time. These muffins are a great way to start your day or to treat yourself when you need a pick-me-up during the afternoon.
We use a cake mix to speed up the process, and in a little under an hour the result is amazing.
2 large eggs
1 cup sour cream
1 (21-ounce) can apple pie filling
1 (18 1/2-ounce) package cake mix, yellow, white, lemon, or spice cake mix
Freshly ground cinnamon, optional
Gather the ingredients.
Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease or paper-line 18 muffin cups.
In a large bowl, combine eggs, sour cream, and apple pie filling, mixing well.
Add cake mix to the bowl, being careful not to overmix the batter.
Place batter in muffin cups and sprinkle tops with ground cinnamon (optional).
Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the muffin. Cool in pan for 10 minutes before removing.
Here are some ideas to give your muffins a twist:
- Crunchy: Mix 1/2 cup of crushed almonds, cashews, or chunky granola into the batter to add some texture.
- Chewy: Add 2/3 cup of currants, raisins, tart cherries, or chopped dried apricots to the batter to add sweetness and give your muffins a chewy texture.
- Sweet: Mix 1/2 cup of dark chocolate chips or caramel chunks into the batter to make them extra decadent.
- Fruity Fillings: Mix 1/2 cup of the marmalade of your choice with 2 to 3 tablespoons of water. Transfer into a piping bag. With an apple corer remove a cylinder of dough from each of the muffins, fill with 1 teaspoon of the marmalade and put back the dough cylinder. Dust powdered sugar on top.
- Icing: Pipe store-bought icing and use sprinkles to add some color for celebratory muffins, or use a simple glaze for decoration and extra sweetness.