This easy recipe for apple streusel cake is made with apple pie filling, so that means no fruit to peel! I used a 32-ounce glass jar of apple pie filling (any good-quality pie filling should work). You have a lot of flexibility with the appearance of this cake. It can be made in a 10-inch tube springform pan, 12-cup Bundt pan, 13x9-inch pan or cupcake tins for individual desserts.
The cake couldn't be easier to make. You don't even need an electric mixer. Just make sure your butter and eggs are at room temperature, then mix with a wooden spoon or . If you choose to use an electric mixer, transfer to a spoon when you add the apple pie filling so the apples don't get broken down.
This is a sweet dessert and the streusel topping, which is optional, makes it even sweeter, but who can resist brown sugar-butter crumbles? If you use a Bundt pan, you can try placing the streusel at the bottom of the well-greased pan so it will be on top when you unmold it. But I leave the streusel off when I make this cake in a Bundt pan.
This cake is a great dessert when rewarmed in the microwave and served with caramel sauce and a scoop of vanilla ice cream. But don't count it out for breakfast. For easier slicing, refrigerate it, portion into slices and let it come to room temperature before serving. Or warm it in a microwave as I suggest, above.
- For the Streusel:
- 4 tablespoons butter (melted)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- For the Cake:
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 6 ounces butter (at room temperature)
- 3 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs (at room temperature)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 32-ounce jar apple pie filling
- To make the streusel: In a small bowl, mix together 4 tablespoons melted butter, 1/2 cup flour, 1/2 cup sugar, 1/2 cup light brown sugar and cinnamon, making sure the butter has been completely absorbed by the ingredients. Clump the mixture together with your fingers to form large crumbs. Set aside.
- To make the cake: Heat oven to 350 degrees. In a medium bowl, whisk together 3 cups flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda and 1 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon, and set aside.
- In a separate large bowl, beat together the 6 ounces softened butter and 3 cups sugar until light. Add the eggs and vanilla and combine thoroughly. Add the flour mixture and combine thoroughly, scraping the sides with a rubber spatula. Using a rubber spatula or wooden spoon or Danish dough whisk, stir in the apple pie filling.
- Coat the pan you've chosen to bake in with cooking spray. Transfer the batter to the prepared pan and scatter the streusel topping evenly on top. Bake 55 to 65 minutes or until a skewer tests clean. Remove from oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely if using a springform tube pan. If baking in a 13x9-inch pan, cool in the pan and cut and serve directly from the pan. If baking in a Bundt pan, let cool 20 minutes on a wire rack and invert on the rack to cool completely.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||15 g|
|Saturated Fat||8 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||5 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|