This easy asparagus casserole is made with a simple white sauce and sauteed mushrooms. The casserole is topped with buttered bread crumbs, but you could use crushed potato chips or crumbled French fried onions.
For more crunch and interest, add some toasted slivered almonds to the topping.
See more tips and variations below the instructions.
- 2 to 2 1/2 pounds asparagus spears, trimmed and cut in 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 to 1 cup buttered bread crumbs
- Heat the oven to 375 F (190 C/Gas 5). Lightly butter a 1 1/2- to 2-quart baking dish.
- Cook asparagus in boiling salted water just until tender; drain well and place in the prepared baking dish. If using frozen asparagus, cook following the package directions.
- In a large saucepan over medium-low heat, saute the sliced mushrooms in 4 tablespoons of butter. Blend in flour and continue cooking, stirring, for 2 minutes. Gradually add the milk, stirring constantly. Add Worcestershire sauce. Continue to cook, stirring constantly, until thickened. Taste and add kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, as needed.
- Pour the sauce over the asparagus.
- Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter and toss with the bread crumbs until well blended.
- Top the casserole with the buttered bread crumbs. Bake in the preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes.
Tips and Variations
- With Cheddar Cheese - Add 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese to the thickened sauce; stir until melted. Proceed with the recipe.
- With Parmesan Cheese - Toss 1/4 cup of fresh grated Parmesan cheese with the bread crumbs. Sprinkle over the casserole and bake as directed.
- Add about 1/4 cup of toasted pecans or slivered almonds to the bread crumb topping.
- Omit the bread crumbs and 2 tablespoons of butter and top the casserole with crushed potato chips or French fried onions.
You Might Also Like
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||17 g|
|Saturated Fat||9 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||5 g|
|Dietary Fiber||5 g|