Get traditional tagine flavor with this beautiful and easy one pan dish. This easy baked Moroccan chicken and onion recipe is fragrant with Moroccan spices, olives, and optional preserved lemon. If your baking vessel can't double as a serving dish, simply transfer the roasted chicken and sauce to a serving platter.
Watch the salt when seasoning the chicken—you'll need less due to the olives and preserved lemon. For casual family dining, top the chicken with Belgian fries (Patate Frite). Serve with Moroccan bread for scooping up the chicken, onions, and sauce or with a simple rice dish to soak up the tasty sauce. The recipe calls for Ras el Hanout, an aromatic Moroccan spice mixture. This can be found at specialty stores, online, or you can make your own spice blend for this and other recipes. The Ras el Hanout can also be omitted from this recipe.
The cooking time is for an average-sized roaster, 3 1/4 to 4 lb. Pitted green olives are recommended for this recipe, however, either will work fine. If you choose to use olives with pits, warn your diners they will need to remove their own pits.
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup olive oil (enough to coat the bottom of the baking dish)
- 2 or 3 onions (thinly sliced)
- 3 cloves garlic (pressed or finely chopped)
- 1 chicken (cut in half)
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon hot paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Optional: 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon Ras el Hanout
- salt (to taste)
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/2 cup green olives (pitted or with pits)
- Optional: 1 preserved lemon (quartered)
- Preheat oven to 425 F (220 C).
- Pour the olive oil into a large baking dish and swirl to coat the bottom of the baking dish. Add the sliced onions and garlic, and then place the chicken halves on top, skin side up.
- Sprinkle the spices over the chicken and onions. Add the cinnamon stick, olives, and preserved lemon, and place the dish in the oven.
- Bake the chicken, uncovered and basting occasionally, for 45 minutes to one hour, or until the chicken is light golden brown. Reduce the heat to 350 F (180 C), and continue baking for another 30 minutes or longer, until the chicken is deeply browned, the juices run clear, and the leg joints can be moved easily.
- Remove the chicken from the oven and let it rest for 10 to 15 minutes. Cut and serve the chicken directly from the baking dish, or transfer everything to a serving platter. If desired, top the chicken with Belgian fries or serve with bread or rice on the side, to soak up the tasty juices.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||36 g|
|Saturated Fat||8 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||20 g|
|Dietary Fiber||5 g|