This Nile Perch recipe is easy enough for novice fish cooks to master and tasty enough for novice fish eaters to enjoy. Just count to three for a delicious and healthy main dish. One, rub mayonnaise on the fish. Two, sprinkle spices on the fish. Three, bake. Sometimes it is surprisingly simple to prepare great food.
- 2 lbs. (1 kilo) Nile Perch
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- Dash salt
- Dash freshly ground black pepper
- Optional: dash garlic powder (or parve chicken soup powder)
- Gather the ingredients.
- Soak fish in lemon juice for 30 minutes. Drain.
- Spray a shallow glass baking dish with non-stick spray. Place the fish in the pan, skin-side down.
- Generously spread mayonnaise on the fish. Sprinkle salt and pepper over the fish according to taste. If desired, sprinkle some garlic or soup powder on the fish too. Cover with foil and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Bake the fish, covered, for 30 minutes. Uncover, and bake (or broil) for another 10 minutes, or until browned on top. The fish is done if it flakes (breaks apart) easily when a fork is inserted into the thickest part of its flesh.
Serve the fish with creamy coleslaw or lettuce salad.
Note: Fish bought fresh from a fish store is generally much better than fish from the grocery store frozen section.