These easy barbecued hot dogs make an easy snack for parties or tailgating. The hot dogs are simmered in a homemade barbecue sauce. Serve them right away with hot dog buns or transfer them to a slow cooker to keep hot for guests.
- 1 small onion, chopped (about 1/4 to 1/2 cup)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup tomato ketchup
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 hot dogs
- 8 hot dog buns, split
- Optional garnishes: sauerkraut, chopped onions, mustard, ketchup, relish
- In a heavy skillet, cook onion in hot oil over medium-low heat. Stir in ketchup, celery, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, vinegar, mustard, water, and salt. Cover and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Lightly score hot dogs diagonally at 1-inch intervals.
- Add hot dogs to sauce; cover and simmer for about 15 minutes longer.
- Toast split buns.
- Serve hot dogs with toasted buns and your favorite condiments.
For smoky barbecue flavor, add about 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of liquid smoke to the sauce mixture.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||3 g|
|Saturated Fat||0 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||2 g|
|Dietary Fiber||0 g|