This spoonbread is easy to make with boiled cornmeal, milk, and eggs. The spoonbread is served from the baking dish with a spoon.
- 1 cup cornmeal (white)
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk (cold)
- 2 large eggs (well beaten)
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- In a large saucepan, combine cornmeal with 2 cups of water.
- Add 1 teaspoon of salt.
- Bring mixture to a boil.
- Then lower the heat and cook, stirring constantly, for 5 minutes.
- The mixture will be very stiff. Remove from heat and slowly stir in 1 cup of cold milk.
- Stir in the beaten eggs and melted butter.
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Heat a greased 1 1/2 to 2-quart baking dish or 8-inch square baking dish.
- Pour the well-blended batter into the hot baking dish.
- Bake for about 40 minutes or until firm in the middle and nicely browned.
- Serve hot, straight from the baking dish.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|