These barbecue black beans are just as simple to make, and they are tasty to eat. All you need are a few ingredients and a slow cooker, and you’ll have yourself a delicious side for carne asada, brisket, spare ribs, and grilled chicken. In fact, they are even delicious served all by themselves.
Give these beans a try next time you have a cookout and get ready to be pleasantly surprised.
- 4 15 oz. cans black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 2/3 cup/160 mL tomato juice
- 1 cup/240 mL prepared barbecue sauce
- 1 cup/240 mL mild or medium chunky salsa
- 1/2 cup/120 mL canned corn (optional)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 tablespoon/15 mL cumin powder
- 1 tablespoon/15 mL brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon/2.5 mL salt
- 1/2 teaspoon/2.5 mL onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon/1.25 mL chipotle chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon/1.25 mL black pepper
- pinch of allspice
- 1/4 cup/60 mL cilantro (roughly chopped)
Combine all ingredients, except cilantro, in the slow cooker.
Turn heat on to low and cook for 3 1/2-4 hours. Once finished, turn to the warm setting and serve garnished with chopped cilantro and your favorite grilled and smoked meats.
You can also top these beans with a spoonful of sour cream or plain yogurt.