Looking for how to grill (barbecue) tofu? Go here: How to grill tofu
The sugar in barbecue sauce is really what makes this BBQ-baked tofu cooking method (with just two ingredients, it's so easy that I can hardly call it a recipe!) work so well, but other marinades and sauces will work, so have fun experimenting with different flavors! I like to use a good quality Texas style barbecue sauce and serve on sourdough for a perfect vegetarian sandwich.
This is also a great vegan recipe if you need to feed a crowd, since it's so easy, and, depending on the size of your oven, you can prepare a huge batch fairly quickly. And, if you're new to cooking with tofu, this is one of the first vegetarian tofu recipes I recommend you try (another one of my favorite recipes for tofu newbies are these breaded and baked tofu "chicken" nuggets).
With nothing other than tofu and barbecue sauce, this recipe is vegetarian, vegan and gluten-free (though it never hurts to check the ingredients on the barbecue sauce you use to make sure it is gluten-free if needed).
- 1 (1-pound) block firm tofu (or extra-firm tofu, well-pressed)
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- First, prepare your tofu. Like most vegan tofu recipes, this one will taste best if you press the tofu first.
- Preheat oven to 325 F.
- Line a cooking sheet with aluminum foil. This will help make cleaning up easier. Spoon a thin layer of barbecue sauce across the lined pan.
- Slice pressed tofu into 1/2-inch thick cutlets and place in pan. Spoon a layer of sauce across the top of the tofu and bake for approximately one hour, checking occasionally so as not to overcook.
- Your tofu will be all the way done cooking when the barbecue sauce has baked in and the tofu is moist, but not saucy. You can always brush on extra sauce if you'd like.
- Serve your bbq baked tofu in a sandwich with lettuce, tomatoes, relish and extra barbecue sauce. Yum!
More Vegetarian and Vegan Tofu Recipes
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||7 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||2 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|