Brisket with baby red potatoes, carrots, onions, and garlic all cooked together in a cooking bag makes an easy, hearty meal with little clean-up. You may also use this method to cook the brisket alone, with no vegetables, but do spread the thin-sliced onions on top. The meat and gravy are wonderful with simple mashed potatoes.
- 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 to 4 pounds flat-cut beef brisket
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano (crushed between your palms)
- dash kosher
- salt (or to taste)
- dash freshly ground pepper (or to taste)
- 3 pounds baby red potatoes (peeled and left whole)
- 1 pound carrots (peeled and cut into 3-inch lengths)
- 8 ounces, cleaned and halved
- 1 head garlic (cloves separated and peeled)
- 1/2 large sweet onion, sliced thin
- 1 package dry onion soup mix (Lipton brand recommended)
- 1 package mushroom gravy mix (Knorr brand recommended)
- 1 cup tomato juice
- 1 cup water
Gather the ingredients.
Preheat oven to 350 F. Place flour in cooking bag and shake bag so that the flour reaches all parts of the inside. Place bag in a large roasting pan and spread the flour evenly over the bottom with your fingers.
Using the onion powder, garlic powder, oregano, salt, and pepper, season both sides of the brisket. Place brisket, fat-side up, in the cooking bag on top of the flour.
Spread potatoes, carrots, mushrooms, and whole garlic cloves evenly around the outside of the brisket inside the bag. You may wish to lightly spray the tops of the vegetables with cooking spray so they do not discolor. Spread the thin-sliced onions on top of the brisket.
In a mixing bowl, combine onion soup mix, gravy mix, tomato juice, and water until combined. Pour on top of brisket and vegetables. Seal the bag with the plastic tie provided. Cut 4 (1-inch) slits in the top of the bag for ventilation.
Bake at 350 F. for 2-1/2 to 3 hours. Let rest for 15 minutes before slicing brisket. Slice brisket against the grain into thin slices. Serve with vegetables and natural gravy from the bag.