This beef stroganoff recipe is a cinch to prepare because it starts with leftover cooked roast beef, pot roast, brisket or even deli roast beef. So all you have to do is make the sauce. To save time, look for pre-sliced mushrooms (they're normally the same price as regular mushrooms).
Want to upgrade this recipe a bit? Trader Joe's and Pacific Natural Foods both make an excellent condensed cream of mushroom soup that is made with all-natural ingredients. The Trader Joe's soup is made with portobello mushrooms.
It's quite good.
Serve this stroganoff with hot cooked egg noodles and a green salad.
Don't Miss: What to Do With Leftovers
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 1/2 cup diced onions
- 8 oz. sliced mushrooms
- 2 tbsp. flour
- 1-1/2 cups beef broth
- 1 10.75 oz. can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 2 tbsp. sour cream
- kosher salt and freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 cups shredded cooked leftover roast beef, pot roast, beef brisket or deli roast beef
- Melt the butter in a large (12-inch) skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and mushrooms, and cook until softened.
- Sprinkle the flour over the vegetables, and stir until the flour is well coated with the fat and drippings in the pan.
- Add the broth, stirring constantly, until thickened. Add the cream of mushroom soup and sour cream, and season with salt and pepper.
- Mix in the cooked beef, and cook a few minutes until heated through.
- Serve the stroganoff over hot cooked egg noodles.
Note: If you want to brown the mushrooms, which is a good idea because it will deepen the flavor of the stroganoff, simply cook the onions separately first. When they're translucent, remove from the skillet, and add a little more butter if the skillet is dry. Then add about half the mushrooms in a single layer. Don't crowd the mushrooms! Crowding will steam them instead of brown them.
Cook, without stirring, until the mushrooms are golden brown with a slight crust on the bottom. Turn, and cook a few minutes on the other side (the second side won't take as long). Repeat with the remaining mushrooms. Then return both the onions and all of the mushrooms to the pan and proceed with the recipe as directed.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||8 g|
|Saturated Fat||4 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||3 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|