|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
A variety of flavors season this tasty rice and beans dish. The black beans are combined with rice, tomatoes, and vegetables.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, drained
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried leaf oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1/2 cup long grain white rice, uncooked
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
Heat vegetable oil and butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, celery, and green pepper; cook, constantly stirring, until tender.
Stir in drained beans, tomatoes, sugar, oregano, basil, garlic powder, pepper, salt, and hot sauce; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, 15 minutes or until thickened, stirring frequently; set aside.
Cook rice, following package directions, with the addition of turmeric to the cooking liquid.
Serve hot black bean mixture over rice.