|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
Spareribs are slowly simmered in soy sauce, rice wine and seasonings in this easy to make recipe. If you have time, blanch the spareribs first in a pot of boiling water and drain before cooking in the Dutch oven. Serve with rice or noodles. Serves 4 to 6.
2 tablespoons oil for stir-frying
- 2 lbs pork spareribs, cut into 1 or 2 rib sections
- 1 1/2 cups water or stock, as needed
- 2 slices ginger, crushed
- 1/2 cup Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce or 1 tablespoon light and 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
- 2 - 3 tablespoons soft brown sugar, as desired
- 2 teaspoons five-spice powder
1. Heat the oil on in a Dutch oven, on high heat.
2. Add the ribs and brown on both sides (about 5 minutes total cooking time).
3. Add the water or stock, crushed ginger, and stir in the remaining ingredients.
4. Cover, turn the heat down to low and simmer for at least 1 hour, or until the ribs are tender, adding more water or stock as needed. If desired, garnish with sliced scallions, and shredded carrot before serving.