Migas is a delicious Mexican breakfast egg skillet. You only need one pan, some leftover tortillas, a few eggs, and some delicious fresh veggies! It is the perfect breakfast for two people to share! The corn tortillas provide a lovely heartiness and chew to what would be a normal and boring omelet! It's like having a delicious breakfast burrito all chopped up into one skillet!
This recipe calls for using fresh corn tortillas, but you can also cut up some tortilla chips that you have lying around! The texture will be a little different, but the overall integrity of the dish will stay the same!
I like using the bright flavors of red bell pepper and onion, but you can easily substitute other kinds of peppers or veggies. You can also replace the shredded Mexican cheese blend with cotija cheese or queso fresco! I like to use salsa verde to give the migas a little kick and a nice sauciness. You can use any hot sauce or salsa that you like! I love this restaurant style salsa! You can also add in tasty breakfast meats like sausage or bacon. Just make sure they are precooked before adding them in with the other ingredients!
- 4 corn tortillas
- 1/2 cup light frying oil
- 1/2 red bell pepper, remove ribs and seeds
- 1/4 medium yellow onion
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- 4 extra large eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup shredded Mexican cheese
- 1/2 cup salsa verde (or other hot sauce, for topping)
- Heat the frying oil in a cast iron skillet or other heavy bottomed pan to medium heat. Keep a close eye on the heat so as to not burn the tortillas when you begin frying them!
- Fry each tortilla in the oil until it is lightly brown and very crispy. Make sure to flip the tortillas so that both sides are browned.
- Once all of the tortillas are fried stack them on top of each other and cut them into little squares. You can do that by cutting them into strips and then cutting the strips into squares.
- Chop the red pepper and the onion into a fine dice. If you want a spicier breakfast, add jalapenos as well. Add the peppers and the onions to the frying pan along with the butter.
- Saute the vegetables until they are soft. Add the beaten eggs and the chopped tortillas to the pan. Carefully fold the eggs and tortillas into the vegetables. Be careful not to break up the eggs too much. Continue to cook until eggs are completely cooked through.
- Top with the Mexican cheese and the salsa verde. Allow the cheese to melt and serve immediately out of the skillet!
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||29 g|
|Saturated Fat||14 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||9 g|
|Dietary Fiber||6 g|