This simple cheese sauce transforms this everyday broccoli into a glorious side dish. You'll have it ready in no time, and your whole family will love it, kids included. To top it off, you can use either frozen or fresh broccoli spears or florets.
- 16 ounces frozen broccoli spears or florets, or 1 pound of fresh broccoli florets
- 12 ounces shredded, or cubed process American cheese
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- Dash ground cayenne or hot pepper sauce, if desired
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Steam or boil the broccoli following package instructions.
- If using fresh broccoli, steam in a covered saucepan over simmering water for 4 to 5 minutes, just until tender.
- In a medium saucepan or saucier over medium heat, combine remaining ingredients. Heat, stirring frequently, until cheese is melted and mixture is smooth, about 7 minutes. Taste and add salt and pepper as desired.
- Pour sauce over broccoli arranged on a serving platter or in a bowl, or serve sauce separately.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||3 g|
|Saturated Fat||2 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||1 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|