|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 10g||13%|
|Saturated Fat 3g||15%|
|Total Carbohydrate 19g||7%|
|Dietary Fiber 1g||3%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
These easy vanilla-flavored walnut bars are made with brown sugar chopped walnuts. The bars are moist and chewy. They are an excellent option for anyone sensitive to chocolate, and they make a tasty treat for kids and adults alike.
The bars are similar to blonde brownies but made without the addition of chocolate. You can, of course, add some chocolate chips to the batter along with the walnuts. Or add some white chocolate or butterscotch chips. Pecans are another option for these tasty bars. Another way to dress them up is with a drizzle of melted chocolate or almond bark. Melting wafers come in all kinds of flavors and colors to fit any occasion or season.
Cut the brown sugar bars into squares for serving or try something different: dice or crumble a few bars and make brownie sundaes with ice cream and your favorite ice cream topping. A caramel or butterscotch sauce would be delicious or drizzle chocolate fudge sauce over the sundae.
Take these bars along to the office or wrap individual bars and take them to a local bake sale.
- 4 tablespoons butter (melted and cooled)
- 3/4 cup/3 1/2 ounces flour (all-purpose )
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup light brown sugar (firmly packed)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup walnuts (chopped)
Gather the ingredients.
Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease and flour an 8-inch square baking pan.
In a medium bowl, combine the flour with salt, baking soda, and baking powder. Whisk or stir to blend thoroughly.
In a mixing bowl with electric mixer, beat the egg for 2 to 3 minutes, or until foamy.
Add the brown sugar, melted butter, and vanilla; beat well.
Stir in flour mixture until well blended.
Fold the walnuts into the batter.
Spoon the thick batter into the prepared baking pan and spread it evenly with a spatula.
Bake in the preheated oven for about 20 to 24 minutes, or until browned and the top has formed a crust.
Cut into 2-inch bars; cool in pan. The recipe makes about 16 walnut bars.
- Check the brownies after 20 minutes to avoid overbaking.
- Brown sugar is somewhat moist, so it isn't measured in the same way as dry granulated sugar. to measure brown sugar, spoon it into a dry measuring cup and pack it down with your hand or the back of a spoon until it is level with the rim of the measuring cup.
- Dress these bars up with a drizzle of chocolate. Melt some semisweet chocolate in the microwave and let it cool slightly. Pour the melted chocolate into a plastic food storage bag, cut a tiny corner out, and drizzle the chocolate over the bars. Cool and cut into squares.
- Spread a thin layer of icing over the cooled bars if you like. This caramel cream cheese frosting would be fabulous in the bars, or make a brown sugar penuche frosting. Chocolate frosting or ganache would be fantastic.