Wraps are one of the most versatile dishes ever and so, so easy to make. This Buffalo chicken wrap recipe shows you just how fabulous they can be. With the spicy and tangy sauce, soft and tender chicken, and the crunch of great salad ingredients, you have to ask: how much better could things get?
- Buffalo Sauce:
- 1 oz. unsalted butter
- 4 tablespoons chili sauce*
- 1 1/2 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 fl oz. natural yogurt
- For the Filling:
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 20 oz. free-range chicken breasts (cubed)
- Salt and pepper
- 3 cups lettuce (shredded)
- 3 cups cherry tomatoes (quartered)
- 1 celery stick (finely sliced)
- 8 soft wraps
- Garnish: 1/3 cup cilantro leaves
Make the Sauce
Gather the ingredients.
Except for the yogurt, put all the sauce ingredients in a saucepan, stir and simmer for five minutes taking care not to let the mixture boil, or worse still, burn.
Allow the sauce to cool, then add the yogurt and stir again.
The sauce can be stored in the fridge up to two days, until you are ready to use it.
Prepare the Filling
Heat the oil in a large skillet to hot, but not burning. Season the cubed chicken with a pinch of salt and pepper and fry for 8 minutes, stirring the chicken cubes from time to time.
Remove the chicken from the pan with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper. Leave to cool down until warm to the touch, but not hot. Wipe the pan with paper towel and keep to one side.
Cut the chicken into smaller bite-sized pieces, put into a bowl and add enough Buffalo sauce to coat the chicken well.
Reheat the frying pan until hot and quickly warm each wrap in the pan for approximately 20 seconds. Remove to a plate.
Then, one at a time, place the shredded lettuce, quartered tomatoes, and celery down the center of the wrap. Pile the chicken on top and cover with a little more sauce. Sprinkle with a few cilantro leaves.
Fold the bottom of the wrap over and roll up tightly. Continue with the remaining wraps.
Serve the wraps immediately with a little extra sprinkling of cayenne pepper and cilantro on the side.
The wraps do not keep well, so eat as soon as prepared and enjoy.
- The salad filling can be of your choosing. There are no restrictions with the ingredients mentioned above. Feel free to add different herbs, salad leaves, or whatever takes your fancy. You could try arugula instead of salad leaves, for example. We also found that a little finely shredded leek works well in this recipe giving it added crunch.
- Feel free to adjust the amount of chili sauce in the recipe to your taste. Four tablespoons will pack a punch, so start with less and add to if you like it hotter.
- This recipe is so good using chicken, but do feel free to switch this out with turkey breast instead. We found it works just as well.