|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 28g||36%|
|Saturated Fat 15g||77%|
|Total Carbohydrate 27g||10%|
|Dietary Fiber 3g||9%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
These easy baked oysters are flavored with a buttery herb crumb topping. A little lemon juice adds zing to the oysters, and panko breadcrumbs make the topping extra crunchy. They're perfect for a summertime party or a New Year's bash.
A layer of rock salt or uncooked rice keeps the oyster shells from wobbling in the baking pan and makes for a pleasing presentation. If you prefer a variety of herbs, consider freshly chopped thyme leaves or fresh marjoram.
Served baked oysters with fresh lemon wedges as an appetizer. If you're planning a big spread, try serving with a fresh, lemony salad. Some oyster lovers enjoy hot sauce or saltine crackers alongside, and a glass of crisp white wine or bubbly wouldn't hurt.
- Rock salt
- 1 dozen fresh oysters (in the shell)
- 1 stick butter (8 tablespoons, softened, divided)
- 3/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives (finely chopped)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest (finely grated)
- Optional: sweet paprika
- Garnish: fresh parsley (chopped), 2 to 3 wedges lemon (for serving)
Gather the ingredients.
Preheat the oven to 425 F/220 C/Gas 7. Add a layer of rock salt to a rimmed baking sheet or substitute dry, uncooked rice. This will keep the oyster shells from wobbling.
Scrub the oyster shells with a stiff brush.
Carefully shuck the oysters over a bowl to catch any liquids that might spill out. Run the knife along the bottom of the inside of the shell to loosen the oyster. If some of the oyster liquor does spill out, return it to the bottom shell. Discard the top shells and arrange the oysters with their liquid in the prepared baking pan.
In a skillet over medium heat, melt 4 tablespoons of the butter. Add the panko crumbs and cook, stirring, until the crumbs are lightly browned.
In a bowl, combine the remaining 4 tablespoons of softened butter with the chives, lemon juice, and the lemon zest.
Top each oyster with a scant teaspoon of the butter-and-chives mixture and then sprinkle each one with the buttered panko crumbs.
If desired, finish with a light sprinkling of paprika.
Bake the oysters in the preheated oven for about 8 to 10 minutes, or until the oysters are cooked through and the topping is golden brown.
Sprinkle with fresh chopped parsley and serve with lemon wedges.
Buy fresh oysters from a trusted source. Look for live oysters that are tightly clamped shut or shut when tapped. If an oyster shell is open or broken and does not close tight when handled, it is bad and should be discarded.
- Garlic and Herb Baked Oysters: Add a small, finely minced clove of garlic to the butter in the skillet. Cook in the butter for 1 minute before you add the panko crumbs and then continue with the recipe.
- Grilled Herb and Butter Oysters: Preheat the grill to high heat. Prepared the oysters following the recipe above. Place the pan on the grill grate, close the lid, and grill for about 6 to 8 minutes.