|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
This cabbage soup is an easy combination of cabbage, beef broth, peppers, onions, and tomatoes. A bit of hot sauce, garlic, and some brown sugar help to flavor the soup. Add some sliced carrots to the soup if you'd like.
Add browned ground beef or diced stewing beef for a meatier soup. If you prefer a meat-free soup, replace the beef broth and water with 1 quart of vegetable broth and 1 cup of tomato soup.
- 1 can (10 3/4 ounces) condensed beef broth (or french onion soup)
- 3/4 medium head cabbage (chopped)
- 2 onions (chopped)
- 1 green pepper (chopped)
- 1 mild pepperoncini (finely chopped)
- 1/2 cup celery (chopped)
- 4 cups water
- 1 large can (28 ounces) tomatoes (chopped, with juice)
- 1 clove garlic (chopped)
- Optional: 2 dashes hot sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar (firmly packed)
In large saucepan or pot, combine beef broth, chopped cabbage, chopped onions, peppers, celery, and water.
Bring mixture to boil over medium-high heat; turn down to low. Add garlic, hot sauce, and brown sugar; continue cooking until ingredients are tender, about 1 1/2 hours.
Add chopped tomatoes and juice. Add more water if needed and heat through.