|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 8 Servings (2 cups)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 32g||41%|
|Saturated Fat 19g||96%|
|Total Carbohydrate 10g||4%|
|Dietary Fiber 1g||3%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This easy cheddar cheese sauce recipe is prepared with a simple white sauce base and shredded cheese. Try this recipe with smoked cheddar cheese, or use a combination of cheddar and Monterey Jack cheeses.
Use this classic cheddar cheese sauce on cauliflower, green beans, broccoli or other vegetables, pasta (macaroni and cheese), rice, or in any other dishes. Add some peppers or spicy Mexican cheese blend if you are using the sauce to top nachos.
Click Play to See This Recipe Come Together
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black (or white pepper)
- 1 1/2 cups milk (or light cream)
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese (mild or sharp)
Melt butter in a saucepan over medium-low heat; remove from heat. Stir in flour, salt, dry mustard, and pepper.
Put the saucepan back on the heat and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
Gradually add milk or light cream, stirring until well-mixed.
Continue cooking, stirring constantly, until thickened and smooth. Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring, for 5 minutes.
Add cheese and cook, stirring, until the cheese has melted and the sauce is smooth and well blended.
Serve with pasta or vegetables.
- Macaroni and Cheese: To make a quick macaroni and cheese, combine the sauce with 3 to 4 cups of cooked and drained macaroni. Transfer to a buttered baking dish and top with buttered breadcrumbs and more cheese, if desired. Bake in a 350 F oven until bubbly and crumbs (if using) are browned about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Stuffed Baked Potatoes With Broccoli: Bake 4 to 6 large russet potatoes until tender. Split the potatoes open and fluff the potato lightly with a fork, leaving the shell intact. Arrange on plates. Top with hot cooked broccoli and ladle cheese sauce over the broccoli.
- Chicken or Turkey Sandwich Melts: Arrange 4 thick slices of toast on a baking sheet. Top each slice of toast with turkey or chicken slices and a slice of tomato. Drizzle with cheese sauce then top with bacon. Put under the broiler until heated and cheese sauce is bubbly.
- Add diced pimientos to the cheese sauce for color and flavor.
- Add a pinch of cayenne and a dash of garlic powder to the sauce.
- Use smoked cheddar for a smoky-flavored sauce.
- Use a Mexican blend of cheeses and add chili peppers if using the sauce in a Tex-Mex style dish.