If you're looking for a meal idea for a particularly busy day, look no further. This cheeseburger pie is a family tested and approved one-dish meal that is sure to please even the pickiest family.
A frozen pie crust or a refrigerated pastry sheet makes this pie super quick and easy. Or make a homemade crust if you have the time. This food processor pastry takes no more than about 5 to 10 minutes to fix. The ground beef and several typical cheeseburger toppings make it taste like a cheeseburger. The ground beef filling includes dill pickle slices, ketchup, and mustard. Shredded cheddar or cheddar jack cheese is the topping for this savory pie.
For a lighter version, make the pie with ground turkey thighs. The recipe calls for cheddar jack cheese, but feel free to use American cheese, cheddar, or a blend cheddar and mozzarella.
Serve cheeseburger pie with French fries or roasted potatoes, corn, and a tossed salad or coleslaw for an enjoyable family lunch or dinner.
- 1 9-inch pie shell (frozen or homemade, unbaked)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup onion (chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 teaspoon burger seasoning (or a steak seasoning blend)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup plain fine breadcrumbs*
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard (or a favorite gourmet mustard)
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 6 dill pickles slices (chopped)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar jack cheese (divided)
- Optional: Sliced tomatoes
- Optional: 6-8 cooked bacon strips
- Heat oven to 375 F.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Crumble the ground beef into the skillet and add the chopped onion. Cook until the onion is translucent and the ground beef is no longer pink, stirring constantly. Drain off excess fat.
- To the beef and onion mixture, add the minced garlic along with the steak or burger seasoning, salt, pepper, and breadcrumbs. Remove from heat and set aside to cool slightly.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs with the mustard, ketchup, and Worcestershire sauce. Stir in chopped dill pickle, if using.
- Stir the egg mixture into the cooled ground beef mixture. Add about 1/2 cup of the cheese and stir to blend.
- Pack the meat and cheese mixture into the pie shell and bake for 30 minutes.
- Top with the sliced tomatoes and bacon, if using, and then top with remaining shredded cheese.
- Bake the cheeseburger pie for 5 to 10 minutes longer, or until cheese topping has melted and the crust has browned.
*If you use seasoned breadcrumbs, reduce the salt to 1/4 teaspoon.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||21 g|
|Saturated Fat||10 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||8 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|