|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 6 to 8|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 21g||27%|
|Saturated Fat 10g||52%|
|Total Carbohydrate 14g||5%|
|Dietary Fiber 2g||5%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
If you're looking for a meal idea for a particularly busy day, look no further. This cheeseburger pie is a family tested and approved one-dish meal that is sure to please even the pickiest family.
A frozen pie crust or a refrigerated pastry sheet makes this pie super quick and easy. Or make a homemade crust if you have the time. This food processor pastry takes no more than about 5 to 10 minutes to fix. The ground beef and several typical cheeseburger toppings make it taste like a cheeseburger. The ground beef filling includes dill pickle slices, ketchup, and mustard. Shredded cheddar or cheddar jack cheese is the topping for this savory pie.
Serve cheeseburger pie with French fries or roasted potatoes, corn, and a tossed salad or coleslaw for an enjoyable family lunch or dinner.
Watch Now: Savory Southern-Style Cheeseburger Pie Recipe
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup onion (chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 teaspoon burger seasoning (or a steak seasoning blend)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup plain fine breadcrumbs
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard (or a favorite gourmet mustard)
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 6 dill pickles slices (chopped)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar jack cheese (divided)
- 1 (9-inch) pie shell (frozen and thawed or homemade, unbaked)
- Optional: fresh tomatoes (sliced)
- Optional: 6 to 8 pieces of bacon (cooked)
Gather the ingredients.
Pre heat oven to 375 F. Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Crumble the ground beef into the skillet and add the chopped onion.
Cook until the onion is translucent and the ground beef is no longer pink, stirring constantly. Drain off excess fat.
To the beef and onion mixture, add the minced garlic along with the steak or burger seasoning, salt, pepper, and breadcrumbs. Remove from heat and set aside to cool slightly.
In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs with the mustard, ketchup, and Worcestershire sauce.
Stir in chopped dill pickle, if using.
Stir the egg mixture into the cooled ground beef mixture.
Add about 1/2 cup of the cheese and stir to blend.
Pack the meat and cheese mixture into the pie shell and bake for 30 minutes.
Top with the sliced tomatoes and bacon, if using, and then top with remaining shredded cheese.
Bake the cheeseburger pie for 5 to 10 minutes longer, or until cheese topping has melted and the crust has browned.
- If you use seasoned breadcrumbs, we recommend reducing the salt to 1/4 teaspoon so that the salt flavor is not too much.
- For a lighter version, make the pie with ground turkey thighs.
- The recipe calls for cheddar jack cheese, but feel free to use American cheese, cheddar, or a blend of cheddar and mozzarella.