Store-bought chunky salsa adds flavor and moisture to the meatloaf, as well as saves time chopping onions and peppers. The spicy cheese also gives this meatloaf recipe an extra kick. Serve with rice tossed with fresh cilantro and fresh lime juice, and steamed green beans or corn. You can also use medium or hot salsa to add more spice to the mixture.
- Preheat the oven to 325 F. Lightly grease the bottom of a roasting pan with a few drops of vegetable or canola oil.
- In a large bowl, combine the ground beef, 2/3 cup of the salsa, the egg, milk, breadcrumbs, 1 cup of the cheese, the salt, pepper, cumin and cayenne and mix until just combined.
- Wet your hands with cold water, and form the meatloaf mixture into a loaf shape, about 6 inches wide and 3 to 4 inches high and place in the prepared pan.
- Spread the remaining 1/3 cup of salsa on the top of the meatloaf, and top with the remaining 1/2 cup of cheese. Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until an instant-read thermometer reaches 160 F.
- Remove the pan from the oven and let the meatloaf stand for 10 to 15 minutes before slicing and serving. Serve with extra salsa on the side.
Recipe Tips and Notes
- Be sure not to overmix the meat mixture. Overmixing the meat can result in a dense, tough texture.
- The best way to mix the meatloaf is with your hands. Wash and dry your hands thoroughly before mixing.
- A good option for mixing the meat is to place all of the ingredients in a plastic food storage bag. Seal the bag and squeeze to mix the ingredients until well blended. Remove the meat mixture from the bag and shape.
- You can make the meatloaf ahead and let it cool completely. Slice the meatloaf and freeze the slices in resealable plastic bags for up to 3 months. When ready to use, remove as many meatloaf slices as you need from the freezer. and let thaw in the refrigerator. Place the slices on a baking pan, cover with foil and reheat in the oven at 350 F or 10 to 15 minutes, or until heated through.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||24 g|
|Saturated Fat||11 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||9 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|