This dessert was originally served in a punch bowl with liquor poured on one layer, giving it the name Cherry Pineapple Punch Bowl Cake, also known as a tipsy cake. Served in a trifle bowl without liquor, this recipe is just as festive as the original.
- 1 2 layer butter cake mix (prepared as directed on box and completely cooled*)
- 20 ounces crushed pineapple (drained)
- 2 packages instant French pudding** (prepared as directed)
- 16 ounce container whipped topping
- 20 ounce can cherry pie filling
In the bottom of a glass-sided bowl, sprinkle half of the cake cubes. Make sure that the cubes spread to the sides of the trifle bowl.
Spread one half of the drained pineapple over the cake cubes. Again, look at the sides of the bowl. Make sure there is a true layer of pineapple showing around the sides of the bowl.
Spread one half of the pudding onto of the pineapple layer.
Next, spread one half of the whipped cream over the pineapple layer.
Spread one half of the cherry pie filling over the whipped cream layer.
Repeat all the layers once again beginning with the rest of the cake cubes checking the sides of the bowl for the pretty layers.
Before serving chill the punch bowl cake at least one hour.