This one-dish chicken casserole includes macaroni, peas, and a simple sauce. The shredded cheese is optional, but adds excellent texture and flavor. Pimientos add some color and depth of flavor to the sauce mixture. A buttery crumb crust finishes this casserole perfectly.
Use a rotisserie chicken to make this dish for even faster preparation, or use convenient fully cooked refrigerated chicken strips.
- 8 ounces macaroni
- 2 cups diced cooked chicken
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen peas (thawed, about 1 to 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 can (10 3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1 cup milk
- 1 (4-ounce) jar chopped pimientos (drained)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Optional: 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese or a cheddar jack blend
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 cup soft breadcrumbs
- Cook the macaroni in boiling salted water following the package directions. Drain thoroughly and set aside.
- Heat the oven to 400 F.
- Grease a 2 1/2-quart casserole dish.
- Combine cooked macaroni, chicken, peas, soup, milk, pimientos, salt, and pepper in the prepared casserole dish.
- If desired, sprinkle with 1/2 cup of shredded cheese.
- Toss bread crumbs with melted butter; sprinkle over casserole.
- Bake uncovered in the preheated oven for 25 minutes, or until the breadcrumb topping is lightly browned and the filling is hot and bubbling.
Process day-old bread in the food processor and freeze the crumbs in freezer bags. You'll have breadcrumbs to use for casseroles, meatloaf, meatballs, and other dishes.
Replace the condensed soup and milk with 2 cups of medium white sauce made with half milk or cream and half chicken stock.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||44 g|
|Saturated Fat||23 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||13 g|
|Dietary Fiber||5 g|