This chicken and rice bake is a snap to make with Italian dressing mix and condensed soup. This casserole is an easy, popular recipe for chicken breasts.
The easy preparation leaves you free to do other things while the chicken bakes.
- 1 cup uncooked long-grain rice
- 1 can (10 3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup or cream of mushroom
- 1 envelope Good Seasons Italian dressing mix
- 1 1/2 cups low sodium chicken broth or unsalted chicken stock
- 2 1/2 pounds chicken thighs, whole legs, or bone-in chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the oven to 350 F.
- Butter a 9-by-13-by-2-inch baking pan or a 2 1/2 to 3-quart casserole.
- Wash and drain rice. Spread in the prepared baking dish.
- Mix soup, Italian dressing mix and broth. Stir the soup mixture into the rice.
- Place the chicken on the rice mixture (skin side up) and season with salt and pepper.
- Cover the baking dish tightly with foil and cook for 1 hour.
- Uncover and cook for 20 minutes longer; until most of the liquid is absorbed and rice is tender. The minimum safe temperature for chicken is 165 F.
- If desired, put the casserole under the broiler for a few seconds to brown chicken.
Serves 6 to 8.