This top-rated chicken Parmesan recipe makes a delicious, satisfying family meal with spaghetti and a simple salad. Best part is, it's easy to prepare and bake. The chicken is breaded, browned and then baked with spaghetti sauce along with Parmesan and mozzarella cheese.
Flatten the chicken breasts* to cook quickly and evenly or slice them horizontally to make two thin cutlets for each chicken breast. Alternatively, buy thinly sliced chicken breasts or cutlets.
- 4 boneless chicken breast halves (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 2 to 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 slices mozzarella cheese
- 1 (24-ounce) jar pasta sauce
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese (grated)
- 8 ounces pasta (spaghetti or linguine)
- Heat the oven to 350 F (180 C/Gas 4).
- Lightly grease a 9 x 13-inch baking dish.
- Put the chicken breasts between sheets of plastic wrap and gently pound to about 1/2 inch in thickness.
- Whisk together the egg and milk in a bowl.
- Put the seasoned breadcrumbs in a different, wide, shallow bowl.
- Dip the chicken breasts in milk and egg mixture and then in breadcrumbs, turning to coat thoroughly.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet or saute pan over medium-high heat.
- Brown the chicken in the hot oil on both sides until golden brown, about 3 to 4 minutes on each side. Arrange the chicken in the prepared baking dish.
- Slice 8 pieces of mozzarella cheese and put two on each chicken breast. Pour 1 jar of your favorite spaghetti sauce over all. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and a little more mozzarella and bake for about 25 to 30 minutes, or until bubbly.
- Meanwhile, cook the spaghetti or linguine in boiling salted water following package directions. Drain well.
- Serve with spaghetti, garlic bread, and a tossed green salad.
*To flatten the chicken, place a chicken breast between two sheets of plastic wrap or in a food storage bag. Using the smooth side of a meat tenderizer or a rolling pin, pound gently until uniform in thickness. You can also buy the thin sliced chicken breasts/cutlets for this recipe. Or, slice the chicken breasts horizontally to make thin cutlets. If the chicken breasts are very large, you might only need 2 or 3 for a meal.
Recipe shared by Colleen Haass
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||51 g|
|Saturated Fat||16 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||21 g|
|Dietary Fiber||6 g|