Soy sauce adds extra flavor to this simple crockpot recipe submitted by Arin Marcus. Feel free to enhance the basic recipe with your own favorite combination of spices and seasonings.
Although not authentic Chinese, I have included this recipe because it is submitted by a reader, and this is a good basic recipe. Try it in that spirit; obviously if you are seeking something more authentic you'll want to skip this one.
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup tomato/vegetable juice or tomato sauce diluted with water
- Salt, pepper, or other spices, to taste
- 3 pounds chicken thighs, drumsticks, wings or a mixed combination
- Combine the soy sauce, brown sugar and juice and any spices you are using in the bottom of the crockpot.
- Add the chicken.
- Cook on low heat for 6-8 hours (overcooking is difficult for this recipe!). The chicken can also be cooked on high heat for first 1 1/2 hours and then turned to low (use your best judgement). The Chicken is done if the meat falls off the bone when removed.
- Serve the chicken over rice along with steamed vegetables for a full meal.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||23 g|
|Saturated Fat||6 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||9 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|