|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 1 Dozen (12 servings)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 9g||11%|
|Saturated Fat 4g||22%|
|Total Carbohydrate 24g||9%|
|Dietary Fiber 2g||6%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
These moist, delicious muffins make a wonderful treat for the family, whether for breakfast or a snack. I used mini chocolate chips in the muffins but regular semisweet chocolate chips would be excellent as well. Feel free to replace some of the chocolate chips with chopped pecans or walnuts.
Serve them as a dessert, a snack, or as a special breakfast treat. They make excellent mini muffins, too!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup sugar (granulated, but may use half brown sugar)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chocolate chips (mini, semi sweet)
- 1 large egg (beaten)
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup canola oil or vegetable oil
- Gather the ingredients.
- Heat oven to 400 F.
- Line a 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners or grease and flour the bottoms.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and chocolate chips.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk the egg with milk, vanilla, and oil. Pour into the dry ingredients and mix just until moistened.
- Fill prepared muffin cups about 2/3 full. Bake for 18 to 22 minutes, until golden brown.
Baking powder bread and muffins begin to rise immediately when moistened so have the oven preheated and muffin tins ready before you combine the wet and dry ingredients.
When mixing muffins, use a light hand. Overmixing or beating the batter can make dense, dry muffins.
For a special touch, sprinkle the tops of the muffins with coconut or chopped nuts before they go into the oven.
To check for doneness, insert a wooden toothpick or skewer into a muffin. If it comes out clean, the muffins are done.
To substitute self-rising flour for all-purpose, omit the baking powder and salt.
You Might Also Like