This zucchini cake will please even the most adamant zucchini-haters. Shredded zucchini, chocolate chips, and chopped nuts go into this easy cake mix Bundt cake. The zucchini cake is moist enough to enjoy without the chocolate glaze. Sift some powdered sugar over it or serve it with a scoop of ice cream.
If you don't care for chopped nuts, feel free to omit them. Or replace the nuts with some flaked coconut or toffee chips. The cinnamon pairs nicely with the chocolate, but feel free to leave the cinnamon out if you like your chocolate pure and unadulterated.
- 1/2 cup/4 ounces butter (softened)
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cake mix (chocolate fudge, with pudding in the mix, about 15.25 ounces)
- Optional: 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (ground)
- 1 medium zucchini (shredded, about 1 1/2 cups shredded)
- 1 cup chocolate chips (semisweet)
- 1 cup pecans (chopped, or walnuts)
- For the Chocolate Glaze:
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3 to 4 tablespoons boiling water
- Optional: 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Heat oven to 325 F for a dark-colored pan or to 350 F for a light-colored pan.
- Grease and flour a 12-cup Bundt cake pan or 10-inch one-piece tube cake pan.
- In a mixing bowl with an electric mixer, beat the 1/2 cup of softened butter until light and creamy.
- Add the eggs, 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract, and the almond extract; blend well.
- Add the sour cream and cinnamon, if using; blend well. With the mixer on low speed, beat in the cake mix. Continue beating until the batter is smooth and well blended.
- Fold in the shredded zucchini, chocolate chips, and chopped pecans.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 40 to 50 minutes, or until a toothpick or cake tester comes out clean when inserted in the center of the cake.
- Cool the cake on a rack for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Invert the cake onto a serving plate to cool completely. Drizzle the cake with the chocolate glaze (below) or dust it with sifted powdered sugar.
Make the Chocolate Glaze
- Put the unsweetened chocolate and 2 tablespoons of butter in a saucepan and place it over low heat. Cook, stirring constantly, until the chocolate and butter have melted.
- Sift the powdered sugar and add it to the chocolate mixture along with 2 tablespoons of boiling water. While stirring constantly, continue adding boiling water in very small amounts until the glaze is thin enough to drizzle over the cake. Add about 1/4 teaspoon of vanilla extract, if desired.
- Drizzle the warm glaze over a cooled or slightly warm cake.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||63 g|
|Saturated Fat||32 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||17 g|
|Dietary Fiber||10 g|