A chocolate or fudge cake mix makes the base for the cookies and cream cheese layers.
These easy bars will be popular with the kids! For polka-dot cream cheese squares, sprinkle with mini chocolate chips, graham cracker crumbs, or toffee chips instead of cookie crumbs.
- 1 (15.25-ounce) box fudge or chocolate cake mix
- 4 large eggs (divided)
- 1 stick (4 ounces) butter (melted)
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese (room temperature)
- 2 3/4 cups confectioners sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 8 to 12 chocolate cream-filled sandwich cookies (coarsely crumbled)
Gather the ingredients.
Heat the oven to 325 F (165 C/Gas 3). Grease and flour a 13-by-9-by-2-inch baking pan.
In a bowl, combine the cake mix with 1 egg and the melted butter. Mix until well blended.
Press into the prepared baking pan.
In a mixing bowl with an electric mixer, beat the confectioners' sugar with the cream cheese, vanilla. and the 3 remaining eggs until smooth.
Pour about 2/3 of the topping mixture onto the cake mixture; sprinkle with crumbled cookies then pour remaining mixture evenly over crumbs.
Bake in the preheated oven for about 50 to 60 minutes, or until topping is lightly browned.
Cool thoroughly and cut into bars. Keep refrigerated.
- Replace the cookie crumbs with about 1 cup of mini semisweet chocolate chips.