This easy sweet potato pudding is smooth and delicious. It's made with a combination of spices and brown sugar.
This sweet potato pudding makes an excellent dessert for a holiday dinner. It's like a sweet potato pie without the crust! But don't feel like you have to wait for a fall or winter holiday; it's just as delicious in the spring and summer!
Use freshly cooked and mashed sweet potatoes (instructions below) or canned sweet potato puree. Top each serving with a dollop of whipped cream or whipped topping and a light sprinkling of cinnamon sugar.
- 5 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups sweet potato (mashed or pureed)*
- 1/2 cup brown sugar (packed)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (scant)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- Dash allspice
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Butter six 8-ounce or eight 6-ounce ramekins and place them in a large baking pan or roasting pan.
- In a medium bowl with an electric mixer, beat the eggs until well blended.
- In another bowl, combine the sweet potato, brown sugar, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and allspice. Beat well and, with the mixer on the lowest speed, gradually add the milk and vanilla; blend well. Add the beaten eggs and blend thoroughly.
- Fill the ramekins almost full. Place the pan with ramekins in the preheated oven and add about an inch of very hot water to the outer pan.
- Bake for about 40 minutes, or until the puddings are set.
- Remove them from the oven and cool.
- Serve the puddings warm, room temperature, or chilled with whipped cream or thawed frozen whipped topping.
*Use canned sweet potato puree or freshly mashed cooked sweet potatoes. To cook the sweet potatoes, peel and slice 2 medium sweet potatoes. Put the sliced sweet potatoes in a medium saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Cover the pan and reduce the heat to low. Cook until tender, about 12 to 15 minutes. Drain and mash.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||4 g|
|Saturated Fat||2 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||1 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|