The crock pot—or slow cooker—is one of the modern home cook's favorite appliances, and for a good reason. It's the perfect choice for dishes that benefit from long, low-temperature cooking, and the method requires very little hands-on time. These beef tips are an excellent example of what the slow cooker does best.
With only five ingredients tossed together in the morning, you'll have a saucy, flavorful beef meal by dinnertime. The secret to the gravy is an envelope of onion soup along with a can of golden mushroom soup. A small amount of dry red wine flavors the gravy mixture nicely, but go ahead and omit it if you prefer to cook without alcohol. Some unsalted beef stock or water can replace the wine. One reader said she left the wine out (without replacement), and the dish was delicious.
Steak tips or sirloin tips, which usually come from the round or sirloin, are perfect for this recipe. If you can't find them, you can use a round steak or lean stewing beef. Cut the meat into cubes and use it in the recipe.
The beef tips and gravy are delicious over mashed potatoes, but feel free to serve them with baked or roasted potatoes, noodles, or rice. Add a salad or your family's favorite vegetables for a satisfying meal. Green beans, broccoli, and carrots are all good choices.
So, if you know your day will be super busy, don't order out; just combine everything in the slow cooker and push a button! You'll have a home cooked meal waiting for you when you get home.
- 2 pounds sirloin beef tips (or lean stew meat)
- 1 (1-ounce) packet onion soup mix
- 1 (10 3/4-ounce) can golden mushroom soup (undiluted)
- 1/2 cup of dry red wine
- 1 (4-ounce) can mushrooms (drained)
- Cut the sirloin tips or steak into bite-sized cubes.
- Put the beef cubes in the slow cooker crockery insert.
- In a bowl, combine the onion soup with the golden mushroom soup, wine, and mushrooms. Pour the mixture over the beef.
- Cover and cook on low for 7 to 9 hours.
- Serve the beef tips and gravy with rice, potatoes, or noodles.
- Fresh mushrooms can improve the earthy flavor. Saute 6 to 8 ounces of fresh sliced mushrooms in a tablespoon of olive oil or butter until golden brown and tender. Add them to the slow cooker along with the soups and wine.
- While browning the meat isn't necessary, the caramelization will enhance the flavor and texture of the dish, and it can even help reduce the fat content. If you have time, sear the cubed beef in a small amount of vegetable oil over medium-high heat. For even more intense flavor, deglaze the pan with the red wine or a small amount of stock or water.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||12 g|
|Saturated Fat||5 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||5 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|