Chicken a la king is an American dish typically made with chicken, a creamy sauce, and pimientos. The origin is unclear, but theories range from prominent New York City restaurants and chefs to a London restaurant. The dish probably originated in the 1880s, but it was first mentioned in print in 1912.
Chicken a la king is considered a comfort food by many people. The creamed chicken may be enjoyed over toast points, biscuits, or puff pastry shells. Or spoon it over rice, noodles, or potatoes..
This version of the recipe is a classic combination of chicken, a variety of seasoning vegetables, and mushrooms. The condensed soup sauce is super easy to prepare and the slow cooker makes cooking a breeze.
The recipe is also quite versatile. Add some diced ham along with the chicken or make it with turkey or canned tuna. You might also choose different vegetables. See the tips and variations for more.
- 3 to 4 cups cooked chicken or turkey, diced
- 1/2 cup green pepper, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1 jar (2 ounces) chopped pimento (or chopped red bell pepper)
- 1 can or jar (4 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 2 cans (10 3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup (or cream of mushroom)
- 1 package (10 oz.) frozen peas, about 1 1/2 cups
- In the crockery insert of the slow cooker, combine the chicken, bell pepper, onion, celery, pimiento or red bell pepper, mushrooms, and condensed soup. Stir gently to blend thoroughly.
- Cover and cook on low for 4 to 5 hours, or until the vegetables are tender.
- Turn to high and add peas; cook for about 30 to 40 minutes longer.
Tips and Variations
- Replace the chicken with two 4.5-ounce cans of tuna (drained) along with the peas.
- Replace 1 cup of the chicken with diced leftover ham.
- Use diced leftover turkey in place of the chicken.
- Use frozen mixed vegetables instead of frozen peas.
- Add about 1/2 cup of grated Parmesan cheese along with the peas for a richer sauce.
- Omit the mushrooms, if desired.
- Use a light version of cream of chicken soup or use cream of chicken soup with herbs or mushrooms.
You Might Also Like
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||44 g|
|Saturated Fat||20 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||14 g|
|Dietary Fiber||6 g|