|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Servings: 4 to 6|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 4g||5%|
|Saturated Fat 1g||6%|
|Total Carbohydrate 63g||23%|
|Dietary Fiber 7g||24%|
|Total Sugars 39g|
|Vitamin C 6mg||28%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
These easy crock pot baked beans are colorful and flavorful with bell pepper, onion, brown sugar, barbecue sauce, bacon, and other seasonings. Use your favorite brand of pork and beans in this tasty recipe.
The recipe makes enough for about six people and is easily scaled up for a party or tailgating event. Or scale it down for two to three people and a smaller slow cooker.
The list of ingredients is uncomplicated and takes just minutes to prepare, but don't hesitate to be creative with the recipe. Use red bell pepper with the green bell pepper for extra color, or add some shredded carrot to the beans. Ham or diced sausage can be added to the beans in place of or in addition to the bacon. Or stir some leftover pulled pork or shredded beef into the beans. See the tips and variations for more ideas.
We love these beans with pulled pork barbecue or shredded barbecue beef sandwiches. They go well with pulled chicken as well. Add coleslaw, potato salad, and cornbread for a fabulous family meal.
2 (16-ounce) cans baked beans, drained
1/4 cup chopped red or green bell pepper
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup light or dark brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup tomato ketchup
1/2 cup barbecue sauce
5 slices bacon, cooked crisp, drained, crumbled
Steps to Make It
Gather the ingredients.
Pour the canned beans into the slow cooker. Add the chopped bell pepper, onion, brown sugar, ketchup, barbecue sauce, and cooked crumbled bacon.
Cover and cook on low setting for 6 to 8 hours.
Serve these beans with coleslaw or potato salad and cornbread. The beans are excellent with pulled pork or beef, or barbecued chicken.
- Add sliced smoked sausage or crumbled browned breakfast sausage to the beans. Cooked sliced Italian sausage or turkey sausage would be good as well.
- Add 1/2 to 1 pound of browned ground beef to the beans.
- Add leftover pulled pork, shredded barbecue beef, or cooked shredded chicken thighs.
- Add about 1/2 to 1 cup of diced fully cooked ham to the bean mixture.
- Slice 4 to 6 hot dogs into 1-inch rounds and add to the beans.
- Spice the beans up with jalapeño pepper rings or minced jalapeños, or add 1/2 teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes.
- Shred 1 carrot and add to the beans.