|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
We all have days or even periods when we have too much to do accompanied by extremely long "to do" lists. Unfortunately busy times mean we might not always make the best food choices, perhaps we opt for drive-through or take-out menus instead of a home cooked meal. But it really doesn't have to be this way. With a little planning we can stock our pantries full of healthy ingredients to prepare healthy and easy meals.
As much as I love to cook, I don't always want to spend hours in the kitchen. Curry is one of my family's favourite meals and luckily it also a meal that can be prepared relatively easily. This recipe took me only a half hour from beginning to start. It is full of delicious and exotic flavours, and all healthy (unprocessed) ingredients.
If you love fast, easy, delicious, and healthy meals then this is definitely one to add to your recipe repertoire. It's perfect for any time of the year when you need to cook a healthy meal without spending too much time in the kitchen. You can also cook a batch of this curry, allow to cool completely, then freeze it for a later time. Enjoy!
- 2 skinless chicken breast (sliced into small pieces)
- one small yellow onion (cut into eighths)
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 orange bell pepper, cut into small even-sized pieces
- 1 teaspoon of freshly chopped ginger
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil of choice
- 1 tablespoon yellow curry powder
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground cayenne (or to taste)
- 60 grams or 2 oz unsalted peanuts
- 1 tablespoon smooth peanut butter
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- Steamed white rice (for serving)
1. Get the rice started before moving on to the chicken. Heat the oil, fry the chicken pieces until cooked all the way through, about 8 minutes. Add the onion, ginger, garlic, bell pepper to the pan and cook until the peppers begin to soften or cook to your desired tenderness taste. Drain off all extra fat.
2. Sprinkle the curry powder and cayenne into the pan, stir until well combined. Next add the peanuts, soy sauce, peanut butter, and chicken broth to the pan. Again stir to well combine and distribute spices. Turn heat to medium low, cover, and allow to simmer for 10 minutes. Taste and adjust spices if needed. Serve with steamed white rice.
MAKE IT VEGAN: Simply omit the chicken and replace with your favourite vegetables (even a frozen vegetable mix will work), additionally swap the chicken broth for a vegetable one. Cook and serve the same as the instructions above.