|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 3 to 4|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 17g||22%|
|Saturated Fat 6g||29%|
|Total Carbohydrate 22g||8%|
|Dietary Fiber 1g||3%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Cajun dirty rice, so-called for its "dirty" appearance, is usually only complete with the addition of chicken livers. This easy version of dirty rice uses pork sausage instead; and is simply made with meat, onion, chicken broth, rice, and parsley. Chopped cooked chicken livers or a combination of livers and gizzards may be added if desired. If you do decide to cook giblets for the dish, you can replace the chicken broth with the giblet cooking broth.
A quick, one-skillet dinner is great for a hectic weeknight, and this sausage and rice dish is the perfect dish. Some cornbread or a tossed salad would also be ideal sides.
Gather the ingredients.
Brown sausage in a skillet or sauté pan until no longer pink, breaking up with a fork.
Add minced onion and cook 2 to 3 minutes longer.
Pour off most of the excess fat.
Stir in broth and rice. Cover and simmer gently for 18 to 20 minutes, or until rice is tender and most of the broth is absorbed.
Add the minced fresh parsley and toss to combine.
Serve and enjoy!
- Taste and add salt and pepper, as needed.
- This recipe makes enough for 3 to 4 servings and is easily scaled up for more people.
- Add about 1/4 to 1/2 cup of chopped cooked chicken livers or gizzards to the dish along with the rice and chicken broth. Simmer as directed. Add parsley, salt, and pepper, to taste.
- Add 2 tablespoons of chopped celery and 2 tablespoons of chopped bell pepper to the skillet with minced onion and saute until the onion is translucent. Continue with the recipe.
How to Store and Freeze
- Leftovers can be stored for five to six days in the refrigerator.
- Dirty rice can be frozen for up to three months in an airtight container that is freezer-safe.