|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 10g||13%|
|Saturated Fat 3g||15%|
|Total Carbohydrate 40g||15%|
|Dietary Fiber 1g||5%|
|Total Sugars 9g|
|Vitamin C 0mg||1%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Chicken and dumplings or beef stew and dumplings are quintessential comfort food and perhaps treasured family recipes. But these two hearty dishes are also time-consuming to make. If you use a biscuit mix, however, you'll have fluffy drop dumplings in no time, and can make favorite drop dumpling recipes whenever the craving hits.
You can use any store-bought biscuit mix, such as Bisquick, or homemade if you prefer. Once you have the mix in your pantry, you'll be able to use it for dumplings, biscuits, pancakes, and more.
2 cups biscuit mix, such as Bisquick
3/4 cup milk
Gather the ingredients.
In a mixing bowl, combine the biscuit mix with the milk.
Stir the mixture with a fork until the ingredients are thoroughly moistened.
When your stew is nearly ready to serve, drop tablespoons of the dumpling mixture on top of the simmering stew.
Cook over low heat at a gentle simmer for 10 minutes, uncovered.
Cover and cook for 10 more minutes. You may need to stir it a few times to keep the stew from scorching.
To serve, gently ladle a portion of the stew topped with a dumpling into an individual serving dish.
- If you have some store-bought biscuit mix in your pantry, be sure to check the "best by" date. If you end up using an old mix, especially a box you have opened and left on the shelf for weeks or months, you'll find that the dumplings won't rise. To get light, fluffy dumplings, it's best to use a new or freshly opened package of mix.
- If you have leftovers, keep the dumplings with the stew and refrigerate. Ladle a serving into a bowl to reheat in the microwave. While some bread products don't do well in the microwave, dumplings usually turn out fine, although they may be a bit soggy rather than fluffy.
- Now that you have a quick and easy way to make drop biscuits, you will need a good selection of comforting stews to cook. For a hands-off recipe, try a crock pot chicken stew with biscuits, or a delicious beef stew with vegetables. If you have a bit more time, a stovetop chicken stew with vegetables or an old-fashioned vegetable beef stew with turnips, mushrooms, and butter beans are sure to please.
- You can add dried herbs or grated cheese to the batter for more flavor. Rosemary or sage will go nicely with chicken stew, and cheddar is a perfect addition to both beef and poultry recipes.
- If you want to make your dumplings from scratch, a simple combination of flour, baking soda, salt, and milk or water is all you need. For something a little fancier, try a dumpling recipe that you roll out and then form into shapes, such as hearts, before placing on top of the rich-flavored stew.