This is a basic eggplant parmesan recipe featuring the hallmark ingredients of eggplant, tomato sauce, and mozzarella. The eggplant is quickly fried then layered with the sauce and cheeses. For crispier eggplant, dip in beaten eggs and coat with seasoned dry bread crumbs before frying.
More Easy Italian Recipes
- 1 large eggplant, about 2 pounds
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups canned tomato sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried leaf basil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 8 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400° F.
- Peel eggplant and cut into 1/4-inch slices. Fry on both sides in skillet in hot oil until browned. Drain well on paper towels.
- Place a layer of eggplant slices in a shallow baking dish; cover with some of the tomato sauce, a sprinkling of basil and garlic powder, a little parmesan cheese, and a little of mozzarella cheese.
- Repeat layers until all ingredients are used, ending with a layer of mozzarella cheese.
- Bake uncovered for 15 to 20 minutes.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||37 g|
|Saturated Fat||10 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||23 g|
|Dietary Fiber||6 g|