Serve these tasty fried grits cakes for breakfast or top them with creamed chicken or a creamy shrimp sauce for a delicious everyday meal. They would also be delicious served like polenta with a little marinara and Parmesan cheese.
Use them in place of English muffins as a base for eggs Benedict or open-face egg, ham, and cheese breakfast sandwiches. Or top them with sausage gravy.
If you use quick grits, follow the package directions.
- 5 cups water
- Dash of salt (or to taste)
- 1 cup stone ground grits
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Bring the water and salt to a boil in a large heavy saucepan. Add the grits and continue to simmer, stirring constantly, over medium heat until the grits are cooked and thick like mush, about 15 to 20 minutes. If necessary, add a little more boiling water.
- Pour the hot grits onto a large plate to make a layer about 3/4-inch deep. Cover and let stand to cool, then refrigerate to chill thoroughly.
- When the grits are cold and firm, cut them into rectangular pieces or use biscuit cutters and cut rounds. Dredge the grits pieces with flour, shaking off any excess flour.
- Heat about 1/2 inch of vegetable oil in a large, heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Fry the grits cakes until golden brown on both sides, about 4 to 5 minutes total.
- Drain on paper towels and sprinkle with salt. Serve hot.