Gluten-free fish tacos are a culinary sensation. Served from South America to Alaska, fish tacos are a very distant relative to the drive-thru tacos you may be most accustomed to. Seasoned coleslaw with minced jalapenos and fusion mayo add flavor and crunch to this taco recipe.
Use a firm-fleshed mild fish like mahi-mahi or Alaskan halibut for great flavor and texture. The fish is pan-fried without breading or batter.
Find soft gluten-free corn tortillas, like Mission brand, usually in or near grocery dairy cases. They are full of authentic tortilla flavor and the soft texture is perfect for this taco recipe.
- 8 corn tortillas (gluten-free, soft, 6 to 8-inch)
- 2 cups coleslaw mix (store-bought blend used for convenience)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (to brush on tortillas)
- 1/2 cup cilantro (packed, minced)
- 1 tablespoon jalapeno pepper (seeded, minced, fresh, more if you like heat)
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 pound halibut fillets (or your favorite firm-fleshed fish, cut into 1/2-inch strips)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (to pan-fry fish)
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1 pinch black pepper (fresh ground)
- 2 teaspoons gluten-free taco seasoning. (Make your own or use a gluten-free store-bought blend like Simply Organic gluten-free organic taco seasoning as used in this recipe).
- 2 limes (cut in 10 wedges, use 2 wedges for the mayonnaise mixture)
- Mayonnaise Mixture:
- 3/4 cup gluten-free mayonnaise
- 2 lime wedges (juice of)
- 1 teaspoon gluten-free taco seasoning
- Optional: Pico de gallo, guacamole
Preheat oven to 325 F / 163 C
Brush gluten-free corn tortillas with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and wrap in parchment paper or foil and place in preheated oven to warm, while preparing recipe.
Mix coleslaw, cilantro and jalapeno in a bowl. Add rice wine vinegar, salt and pepper to taste and toss to coat. Set aside.
Sprinkle fish fillet strips with salt and pepper. Add olive oil to a heavy skillet and heat over medium heat.
Add fish strips and pan fry for 4 minutes. Turn strips, sprinkle with gluten-free taco seasoning. Cook for about 3 to 4 more minutes or until fish is just cooked through. Remove fish to a cutting board, and cut into 1/2-inch chunks.
Place mayonnaise in a small bowl. Squeeze the juice from 2 lime wedges into mayonnaise and stir in reserved 1/2 teaspoon of gluten-free taco seasoning.
Remove warm tortillas from oven. Divide fish evenly on 8 tortillas. Top with coleslaw mixture and drizzle with mayonnaise mixture. Serve with fresh lime wedges to squeeze over slaw.
For additional authentic flavor, serve with homemade pico de gallo salsa and/or easy guacamole.
Reminder: Always make sure your work surfaces, utensils, pans, and tools are free of gluten. Always read product labels. Manufacturers can change product formulations without notice. When in doubt, do not buy or use a product before contacting the manufacturer for verification that the product is free of gluten.