|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: serves 4|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 57g||74%|
|Saturated Fat 16g||81%|
|Total Carbohydrate 42g||15%|
|Dietary Fiber 6g||23%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
If you're looking for a quick and easy weeknight, or make ahead meal that you can enjoy throughout the week, then look no further. These chicken breasts are marinated, grilled, sliced, topped with a simple sauce, and folded into a warm pita. If you are watching your carb intake, then simply replace the pita with lettuce leaves.
- 3 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- For the Marinade:
- 1/4 cup oil
- juice of 1 large lemon
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon/5 mL salt
- 1 teaspoon/5 mL dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon/2.5 mL black pepper
- For the Sauce:
- 1/2 cup/120 mL plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon/15 mL flat leaf parsley (chopped)
- pinch of salt
- pinch of pepper
- For the Toppings:
- 1 small cucumber (peeled, seeded and julienne)
- 1 tablespoon/15 mL chopped fresh mint
- Optional: 1 large tomato (sliced)
- Optional: 1 small onion (thinly sliced)
- 4 pitas (or 8 large lettuce leaves)
- Gather the ingredients.
- Place chicken breasts on a large piece of plastic. Fold excess plastic over top of chicken and using a mallet flatten breasts to about 1/2 inch thickness. This will help reduce marinating and cooking time. Place chicken into a resealable plastic bag. Combine marinade ingredients and pour over chicken making sure that all surfaces of meat are covered. Seal bag and place into refrigerator for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, combine yogurt sauce ingredients, cover, and place into refrigerator until ready to use. This is also a good time to slice the vegetables for the gyros.
- Preheat grill for medium-high heat. Remove chicken from bag and place onto grill grate. Discard any remaining marinade. Cook chicken for 5-7 minutes per side or until internal temperature reaches 165 F. Once cooked, remove chicken from heat and place onto a cutting board. Slice and place into warmed pitas (or cold lettuce leaves), top with yogurt sauce, garnish with sliced vegetables, and serve.