|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Servings: 1 to 2|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 21g||27%|
|Saturated Fat 3g||15%|
|Total Carbohydrate 4g||1%|
|Dietary Fiber 1g||3%|
|Total Sugars 1g|
|Vitamin C 1mg||7%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Hemp seed has been cultivated around the world for over 12,000 years. It's been used as a fuel, as paper, and as a textile, and it's a rather healthy choice for food with its fiber, chlorophyll, vitamins, and minerals, as well as protein. Hemp seed oil is great to use in salad dressings since it has such a robust flavor. It is best used at room temperature, rather than heated or used as a cooking oil.
Here's a simple way to whip up a basic hemp seed oil balsamic vinaigrette salad dressing using hemp seed oil, lemon juice, and balsamic vinegar, with some spices to boot. (This recipe is vegan, but it's not a raw food recipe since this recipe uses Dijon mustard.)
Gather the ingredients.
Whisk together all ingredients until evenly and well blended.
Adjust salt and pepper to taste. If you have any fresh herbs on hand, you can mince about 3/4 teaspoon and add them in.
Augment the recipe for a larger batch.
- Just about any kind of fresh herb will work well in this dressing recipe; consider adding a sprig of fresh basil, fresh oregano, or fresh thyme.
- You can swap out the balsamic vinegar for raw apple cider vinegar, rice vinegar, sherry, champagne, or white wine vinegar. Although any of these will create a very different flavor, each one will complement the hemp oil, herbs, mustard, and garlic.
- To bring a bit of sweetness to the dressing, you can include a little agave nectar or honey.
- If you are looking for a warmer and earthy taste, sprinkle in some ground cumin.
- Changing up the lemon juice for lime or orange will give the dressing a nice flavor twist.
- To make a creamier version of this salad dressing, replace the hemp oil with raw hulled hemp seeds and add 3 tablespoons of water in a high-speed blender. To make it thicker, just store the salad dressing overnight.