Make a fresh homemade batch of quick and easy biscuits for breakfast or to go along with some mashed potatoes and gravy for dinner. If you need to know how to make quick and easy flaky homemade biscuits, try this easy biscuit recipe made from nothing more than flour, baking powder, shortening, milk and a bit of salt. When making homemade biscuits, you want to be cautious not to overmix the dough, and you also want to make sure that you don't over knead it as well; its ok (desired, in fact!) for there to still be some
This homemade breakfast biscuit recipe is courtesy of the Wheat Foods Council.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (plus extra for kneading dough)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup shortening (keep it cold)
- 3/4 cup milk (2%)
- First, pre-heat the oven to 450 degrees.
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, and the salt. Cut in the shortening until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Make a well in the dry mixture and add in the milk all at once. Stir together with a fork just until the dough clings together. You want it to still be a bit lumpy; this will help your biscuits be perfectly light and flaky and create those delectable and airy layers when baking.
- Lightly flour a kitchen work surface and then gently knead your biscuit dough on this lightly floured surface just for 10 to 12 strokes.
- Next, roll out or pat the dough to about a 1/2 inch thickness.
- Cut the dough with 2 1/2 inch biscuit cutter; dipping the cutter into flour between each cut. If you don't have a biscuit cutter, you can also use a knife, or even kitchen shears if you have them.
- Place each piece of cut dough on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Place the ungreased baking sheet in the preheated oven and bake until your biscuits are lightly golden brown on top, about 12 minutes.
Calories per serving: 161
Nutritional information: One biscuit provides approximately: 161 calories, 3 g protein, 20 g carbohydrates, 1 g fiber, 8 g fat (2 g saturated), 1 mg cholesterol, 33 mcg folate, 1 mg iron, 290 mg sodium.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||10 g|
|Saturated Fat||3 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||4 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|