Aloo gobi is a vegetarian Indian food recipe consisting of potatoes and cauliflower cooked in a host of flavorful Indian spices. Although it's been around for years, aloo gobi recently achieved world-wide fame through the popular British football (soccer, if you're American!) film "Bend it Like Beckham". This vegetarian aloo gobi recipe won't disappoint. Vegetarian Indian food is all about the use of a combination of spices for amazing flavors, so make sure you've got the necessary spices on hand before you begin making this aloo gobi recipe.
All of the ingredients in this recipe are vegetarian, vegan and also gluten-free, making it both a wonderfully simple vegetarian Indian food recipe and the perfect gluten-free vegan dinner idea. Pair it with some steamed white rice or a bowl of quinoa, or, round it out to make it a more complete meal by whipping up a vegetarian Indian dhal dish for a bit of vegetarian protein, and perhaps serve some Indian turmeric tea to help you relax after dinner.
- 3 potatoes, chopped
- 1 cauliflower, chopped
- 1/2 onion, sliced
- 1 tsp. coriander
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 tsp. turmeric
- 1/4 tsp. ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp. ginger
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1/3 cup water
- Boil the potatoes in water for about 15 minutes, or until just barely tender. Remove from heat and drain.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet. Add the spices and cook for about 30 seconds, then add the onion, cauliflower and potatoes.
- Allow the veggies to cook for 3 to 5 more minutes, then add the lemon juice and water.
- Cover and cook for another 6 to 8 minutes, or until cauliflower is done cooking.
- Serve your vegetarian aloo gobi alone or with rice if desired.
More Vegetarian and Vegan Indian Recipes:
Easy Eggplant Stir-Fry Recipe
Broccoli and Tofu in Garlic Sauce
Vegan Palak "Paneer" (Indian Spinach and Tofu)
Mixed Vegetables, Indian Style
Crock Pot Vegetable Curry
Chana Masala (Spicy Chickpeas)with Spinach
Cauliflower Curry Recipe
Raw Curried Cabbage Recipe
Coconut Curried Vegetables
Turmeric Tea Recipe
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||11 g|
|Saturated Fat||2 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||8 g|
|Dietary Fiber||10 g|