I made these single-serve cherry cobblers in four 6-ounce ramekins. Smaller 4-ounce ramekins would make six desserts. Easy homemade drop biscuit dough makes these cobblers a quick and easy preparation.
Cherry pie filling is another great shortcut. Use a good quality, or "premium" cherry pie filling or make your own with fresh cherries (see below).
You can use biscuit mix to make the biscuits as well. See the tips for instructions.
- 1 can (20 ounces) cherry pie filling
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons melted butter (2 ounces)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup vanilla sugar (or cinnamon-sugar, for topping)
- Butter four 6-ounce ramekins*. Divide the pie filling among the ramekins. Set them on a foil-lined baking sheet.
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, cream of tartar, and salt. Add the melted butter and milk, stirring just until moistened. Drop batter by heaping tablespoon onto the filling.
- Sprinkle cinnamon-sugar or vanilla sugar over the biscuits.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, or until biscuits are browned and filling is hot and bubbly.
- Makes 4. *Use six 4-ounce ramekins to make 6 cobblers.
- Homemade Fresh Cherry Pie Filling: In a large saucepan, combine 6 cups of fresh de-stemmed and pitted cherries with 1/2 cup of water, 1/14 cups of granulated sugar, and 4 tablespoons of cornstarch. Stir well and then bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and cook, stirring frequently, for about 8 to 10 minutes. Cool slightly and use in any recipe calling for cherry pie filling.
- Biscuit Mix Biscuits: Replace the flour, baking powder, and salt with 1 cup of biscuit baking mix. Add the sugar, 3 tablespoons of melted butter, and 1/2 cup of milk. mix and drop onto the filling. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar or vanilla sugar and bake as directed.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||17 g|
|Saturated Fat||9 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||6 g|
|Dietary Fiber||5 g|