|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 4 to 6 Servings|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 13g||16%|
|Saturated Fat 7g||37%|
|Total Carbohydrate 42g||15%|
|Dietary Fiber 7g||25%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This simple cabbage and apple combination makes a flavorful side dish. The casserole is layered with buttery breadcrumbs before baking. This casserole is bound to become a favorite homecooked dish!
- 1 medium head cabbage, coarsely chopped
- 2 cups apples, sliced, peeled
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 cup of fine breadcrumbs
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
Drop chopped cabbage in boiling water and cook 3 to 5 minutes, until slightly tender but still crunchy. Drain well.
Layer cabbage and apples in a 2-quart casserole, sprinkling sugar, and breadcrumbs on each layer.
Pat top layer flat before adding last crumbs.
Pour melted butter over top of casserole.
Cover and bake at 350 F for 45 minutes, or until hot throughout.
Remove cover during last 15 minutes.
- To add a little extra flavor to the dish, try adding a bit of cinnamon or cumin. Both add something unique to this simple dish.