Leche Merengada is a classic dessert, a kind of variation of the milkshake, and is served in ice cream stores all over Spain. It is such a classic dessert that the famous children's song, entitled "Tengo una vaca lechera" ("I Have a Milk Cow") talks about a cow who gives sweet and tasty leche merengada.
It is made of milk that is heated and flavored with sugar, cinnamon, and lemon zest. Once strained and cooled, the milk is then mixed together with beaten egg whites. Finally, the mixture is frozen. The resulting texture is somewhere between a smoothie and ice cream.
- 4 cups (1 liter) whole milk
- 1 1/4 cups (250 grams) granulated sugar, divided
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 4 egg whites
- Pinch powdered cinnamon (optional)
- Rinse and dry the lemon with a paper towel to remove any dust. Grate the lemon peel onto a plate or into a small bowl. Be careful to remove only the yellow portion of the lemon peel, because of the pith, which is the white, fibrous membrane underneath, is bitter.
- Pour the milk, 1 cup sugar, cinnamon stick and the lemon zest into a medium-sized saucepan and heat on medium-high. As soon as the milk begins to boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Once cooled, remove the cinnamon stick and strain the milk through cheesecloth to remove the grated lemon zest.
- Separate egg whites. Pour the egg whites and remaining sugar into a clean, dry glass bowl. Beat eggs whites to a stiff peak.
- Pour the milk into a large glass or ceramic mixing bowl, and carefully fold in the egg whites with a rubber spatula until the mixture is homogenous.
- Cover the bowl, sealing it tightly. Place into the freezer for at least 2 1/2 hours. Remove from the freezer and mix on low speed with an electric mixer before serving.
- Serve very cold in a tall glass with a long spoon or straw. Top with powdered cinnamon if desired.
Below Are Some of the Favorite Milk-Based Spanish Dessert Recipes
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||6 g|
|Saturated Fat||4 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||2 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|