Love lemon meringue pie? Try this recipe with a delicious, tangy lemon curd and loads of billowing meringue piled high.
- 4 egg yolks (save the whites for meringue)
- 1/3 cup cornstarch 3 tablespoons
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 1/3 cups sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons butter 2 tablespoons
- 1/2 cup lemon juice 2 lemons, juiced and zested
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1 (9-inch) pre-baked pie shell
- 4 egg whites
- 1 pinch cream of tartar
- 2 tablespoons sugar 6 tablespoons
Make the Lemon Filling:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Whisk egg yolks in medium size mixing bowl and set aside.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, combine cornstarch, water, sugar, and salt. Whisk to combine. Stir frequently and bring mixture to a boil. Boil for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and, while whisking briskly, add 1/2 cup of the hot mixture at a time to egg yolks until you have added at least half of the mixture.
- Return egg mixture back to the saucepan. Reduce heat to low and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 more minute. Remove from heat and gently stir in butter, lemon juice, and zest until well combined.
- Pour mixture into pre-baked pie shell. Spoon meringue (see below) over the top while filling is still hot. The meringue should completely cover the lemon mixture. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until meringue is golden. Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack. Make sure pie is cooled completely before slicing.
Make the Meringue Topping:
Whisk egg whites in the bowl of a stand mixer until soft peaks form and then gradually add sugar and continue beating until stiff peaks form approximately 1 to 2 minutes. Use to top lemon filling.
More Gourmet Pie Recipes
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||7 g|
|Saturated Fat||4 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||2 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|