|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 1 quart (8 servings)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 0g||0%|
|Saturated Fat 0g||0%|
|Total Carbohydrate 33g||12%|
|Dietary Fiber 2g||8%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Once only used as a palate cleanser, sorbets are served for dessert these days too. Most Sorbets are placed directly in the freezer and stirred a lot to keep them from freezing solid. For a much smoother version, this recipe is made in an ice cream maker. Enjoy this Lemon Sorbet. It’s particularly enjoyable after a spicy meal on a hot day.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups lemon juice (approximately 12 medium lemons*)
- 3-4 lemons (zested**)
- Gather the ingredients.
- Bring the water and the sugar just to a boil in a medium saucepan over high heat, stirring until the sugar dissolves. This will take about 10 minutes.
- Remove from the saucepan from the heat.
- Place the pan on a wire cooling rack to cool. If in a hurry, place the pan in big bowl of ice. Stir the syrup until it cools.
- Add the lemon juice and zest. Stir until well combined.
- Carefully pour the mixture in a resealable, non-metal container. Refrigerate it for at least 2 hours.
- Once the mixture is completely chilled, process it according to your ice cream machine manufacturer's instructions.
Notes in the Margin:
You may substitute limes for the lemons making a Lime Sorbet. Key Limes will add a great flavor addition to this recipe. Your sorbet will also be yellow, as Key Limes are more yellow than green.
*Use juice from 3-4 lemons. Use bottled lemon juice for the remaining juice needed.
**I used the zest of 4 lemons and my sorbet was definitely mouth-puckering, but still deliciously sweet. If you'd prefer a less tart sorbet, use less lemon zest or add more sugar.
More Recipes Made with Lemons:
It is much simpler to make this homemade lemon curd than you would think. Not only does it taste wonderful on biscuits and croissants, but it makes a fantastic gift as well.
Fresh Lemon Pound Cake
Pound cake is one of the easiest cakes to make and it’s not any different with this recipe.
Limoncello Bundt Cake
Yes, there’s plenty fresh lemon in this recipe, but most of it comes from the Italian lemon liqueur. You may end up loving limoncello, too. We keep a bottle in the freezer.
Lemon Meringue Pie
You think about desserts made with lemons without this pie coming up. I don’t care for the meringue, but the rest of the pie is well worth making it.